Factoring for Small Businesses
The Trade Receivables Liquidity Facility (TRLF) is a Government of Barbados initiative which allows small businesses to receive timely payments at discounted rates for goods and services procured for a Ministry, a Department of Central Government or a Statutory Corporation. Under this facility, outstanding invoices presented to Enterprise Growth Fund Ltd (EGFL) for settlement will be factored within fourteen (14) business days.
The TRLF is available to small businesses so defined under the Small Business Development Act Cap. 318C Section 3 (b) and must satisfy any two of the following criteria:
- Not more than BDS$1,000,000 as stated or paid up capital;
- Not more than BDS$2,000,000 in annual sales;
- Not more than 25 employees.
- Businesses must be certified by the Small Business Development Unit, of the Division of Commerce and Small Business Development, located on Reef Road, Fontabelle, St. Michael. Tel: (246) 427-5270 or Fax: (246) 431-0056
- Applicants must ensure that the relevant Ministry/Department/Statutory Corporation authenticates their invoice(s) and prepares a certification letter. The invoice(s) and certification letter must also be endorsed by the Accountant General.
- For the initial invoice(s) to be factored, EGFL must also be provided with the registration certificate received at step 1 above and the business certificate of incorporation/registration, if applicable.
- EGFL will disburse funds to the applicant after receiving a Guarantee Certificate from the Central Bank of Barbados.
How much can be factored?
- A business or individual can factor invoices totaling a maximum of BDS$200,000 per quarter. The minimum amount that can be factored is BDS$5,000.